Catching up in the Yard
Summary: Lingo and Yates find that sometimes the best place to catch up is over a pair of practice swords.
Date: May 17, 2016
Related: None

Yates.png .Lingo.png .

.
Practice Yard
As part of the training facilities of the Heroes Guild, this sprawling outdoor practice area was built to help young apprentices work on their martial and weaponry skills. The main arena is ringed with a chest height stone wall that surrounds the sand of the yard itself where students may spar. A large oak tree stands opposite the walkway from the ring surrounded by practice dummies. Leading south the path heads over the bridge to the Statue Garden. To the east is the Will training Island, the West meanders to the Archery Yard, and to the North is the gate to the Guild Woods.
May 17, 1553

Lingo makes her way across the practice yard, trying to cover a yawn as she collects spare practice weapons and bits of armor that have been left to the sides of the yard. Word of the balverine attacks have left everyone a little jumpy and eager to train, lest another attack occur. In response, extra practice sessions have kept Lingo on her toes. She spots Yates and offers a wave as she collects a few more blades, "Still kickin', eh? I heard you did well, defending the entrance hall."

"I could only handle one. Adepts died." Yates replies flatly from where he's practicing. Training seems to be the only thing he's really done since the attack, and he sports a few bruises on his freshly shaved face. "You up for sparring?" he asks after a moment, gaze shifting over to the adept.

Lingo's brows come together, though she quirks a sad little grin, "Yes. Adepts, recruits… Plenty of dead." She lets out a little breath and nods as she sets aside most of the gear she's been collecting, all but one worn practice blade. "Mourn the dead, but don't become one. You did well just by standing to fight, rather than letting even one of those blasted beasts break through, and you survived. Can't do much better than that." She brings the blade up and across her frame as she settles into a defensive position, eyes narrowing and locking in on Yates', "You do even better by continuing to practice, rather than retreating."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=assassin Rush Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Good Success Lingo: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

"If I retreat the same thing is bound to happen to my family." Yates says, before flickering out and rushing to Lingo. His blade comes down aggressively towards the woman's shoulder.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Lingo=weaponry Vs Yates=weaponry
< Lingo: Good Success Yates: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

Lingo adjusts her stance, angling her blade to the side to deflect some of the force of the recruit's blow before stepping in, weight coming forward to lend strength to her movement as she brings her weapon up and around, only to find it blocked by his blade. She uses the contact to push her momentum backwards, taking a quick step to gain some distance and maneuvering room as she murmurs, "Yes, your family, your friends, and anyone else within range of those claws."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=weaponry Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Failure Lingo: Good Success
< Net Result: Lingo wins - Solid Victory

Yates grits his teeth and rushes forward, swinging wildly at the woman. It's clear his mind is elsewhere right now though, and his technique is suffering for it.

Lingo sidesteps the wild swing easily, bringing her sword around to slap the flat of the wooden blade against Yate's shoulder as she hisses, "You've got a passion to fight. Use it, don't let it use you!" She steps back rather than attacking his back once more, bringing her sword back up in front of her and settling her weight, eyes focused in, waiting for the next blow, "Again."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=weaponry Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Failure Lingo: Success
< Net Result: Lingo wins - Marginal Victory

Yates hisses as the blade slaps his shoulder, turning around and raising his blade in defense. "Might have overworked myself." he mutters, before advancing once again, aiming a slash at the adept's midsection.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Lingo=unarmed Vs Yates=weaponry
< Lingo: Success Yates: Failure
< Net Result: Lingo wins - Marginal Victory

Raising an eyebrow as she brings her blade across to block Yates' attack, Lingo uses his momentum to guide his blade downward, locking both weapons between them as she steps forward and socks the recruit lightly in the shoulder with her off hand, "How long have you been out here? Have you been sleeping? Eating? I've seen you checking in at mealtimes."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=weaponry Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Good Success Lingo: Good Success
< Net Result: Lingo wins - Marginal Victory

"Enough, but I don't know how long I've been out here." Yates replies, coming again with another attack that is much more put together.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Lingo=weaponry Vs Yates=weaponry
< Lingo: Good Success Yates: Good Success
< Net Result: Lingo wins - Marginal Victory

Lingo chuckles, barely bringing up her blade in time to block the stronger attack though it knocks her back a step, "Well, lets see if we can't wear you out for a good night's sleep!" She brings her blade around to the side, stepping along with it, though Yates manages to follow, blocking the blow.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=weaponry Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Good Success Lingo: Failure
< Net Result: Yates wins - Solid Victory

Yates lashes out with what looks to be another slashes aimed at Lingo's midsection, but he pulls back at the last minute, coming around for her upper arm. "We'll see about that." he retorts, flashing the adept a wink.

<FS3> Lingo rolls Bolt: Success.

Lingo yelps at the sudden blow to her shoulder, shuffling back and drawing her brows together, trying to find enough focus to use her will powers. She looks surprised as a bolt of energy forms and flies at Yates from her hand as she flings it out towards him. Barking out a laugh, she sticks her tongue out at Yates, "Aha! I told Jarek I could do it!"

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Yates=assassin Rush Vs Lingo=weaponry
< Yates: Good Success Lingo: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

Yates takes the blow to the chest, staggering backwards a bit. Suddenly he's a blur of motion heading straight for the adept, stopping just short of her and aiming a vicious chop at her shoulder. "If this keeps going on, I might have to break the lightning out."

<FS3> Lingo rolls Force Push: Failure.

Lingo brings up her blade in defense, then finds it pinned to her shoulder by the force of the blow. With a grumble she attempts to use her will to force the blade and Yates away, but only manages to make her brow crinkle as her eyes slide closed in concentration. When she realizes nothing happened, she cracks one eye open with a sigh, and ducks out from under the crossed blades, scooting back and wrinkling her nose at Yates, "C'mon then, bring on the fancy light show!"

<FS3> Yates rolls Lightning: Good Success.

"As you wish." Yates replies, lowering his sword and raising his hand. He doesn't close his eyes to concentrate but electricity is jumping from his fingertips towards Lingo in no time at all.

Eyes widening at the oncoming volts, she twists and cringes away as if it will lessen the pain, the lightning catching her left shoulder before rolling through her, stopping her breath for a moment. As the jolting fades, she straightens up with a groan, fingers twitching against the hilt of the wooden sword still in her grasp, wisps of hair that weren't fully pulled back frayed out to the sides from the shock as she grimaces up at Yates, "You've been training that too, haven't you?"

"One of my better moves." Yates admits, rubbing at the back of his neck. "You alright?"

With a wry chuckle, Lingo nods, but lowers her blade as she shuffles forward a bit stiffly, "I'll live. Wasn't expecting it to pack that hard of a punch though, to be sure. I've got to remember that just because I'm terrible at it, doesn't mean everyone else is."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License